Home schooling means a great deal of work, especially on the part of the parent who also needs to double as a teacher. You must find time to teach your kids and the level of teaching should be enough so that it would place your children at par with those who are enrolled in traditional schooling. That starts with identifying the right curriculum.
You would like to make sure that you would be picking the best curriculum for your child. In order to do that here are some steps that you can follow:
1. Each state would have different laws concerning education and home schooling. You need to do some research and review the laws that would concern you so that you know exactly what it is that you are facing. This is needed so that you would know what subjects would be required for you to teach your child.
2. You need to sit down and think about the goals that you have for your child when it comes to his education. You have to be very specific about those goals so you could map out how you can meet them.
3. Try to assess your child’s style and way of learning. How do they pick up information? Are they more susceptible to visuals than words?
4. Try to talk to other home schooling parents. If would help a lot if you know someone personally. They can share their experiences and tell if a certain program would work or not.
5. If you don’t know anyone in your place personally who is into home schooling, then try visiting online forums that are concerned about this method of education. You can learn a lot of information from the members there as they discuss common problems. You can also ask your questions there.
6. You now have enough information to try and look for a program that would actually fit your needs. You can conduct your search online, since most of the programs are now available through the Internet.
7. If you hear about a home schooling fair near your area, try to attend it. By doing so you can review some materials first hand.
8. Once you come across a particular program that interests you, try reading and searching for some reviews regarding that particular program. Try to find out what other people think of it. Try to asses if its reputation is okay or not.
That’s how you can try to find the right curriculum for home schooling your child. Keep in mind that the most important thing in your selection is your child’s education and nothing else.
Remember that you do not have to stick to the programs to the letter. You can alter and modify it if you feel that doing so would be better for your child. If a program becomes as restrictive as traditional education then that can defeat the idea of teaching your kids at home.
These are the things that you need to think about firs when starting to home school your child.